6.22.2006

Mid-season doldrums

Well, the middle and meat of my season has not gone well at all. The week leading up to the Leavenwoth Indie race my knee was acting up. I kept telling myself if was going to be fine, but when race morning came and I was limping around the house trying to get ready I knew it was a futitle cause. Scratch that race...DNS.

With a few days of rest I went out South SeaTac to give and effort and was happy with my knee. My fitness was down a bit, but the knew was solid. The next race was to be Winthrop. Winthrop is a mountain town in the North Central Cascades and is known for great weather and fun times on two wheels or Nordic skis.

As the course normal this year it RAINED in WINTHROP! Winthrop is the last place in WA state that you expect rain....maybe a thunderstorm, but not day long rain. I rolled into town about 10:30 AM and seemed to be well ahead of everyone else so I had so time to kill. I fueled up with some coffee and decided to drive up to the venue. I wasn't ready to get wet yet so I drove up the Thompson road to get a look at the upper loop of the course.

Later in the day the rest of the team rolled into town and we all kitted up peddled around the upper loop of the course. Joe Brown and Mark Peterson (KONA) had put together a great old skool course with great flowing singletrack, steep climbs and technical downhills.

On race day the weather was iffy, but we started the race in sunshine and low 60s. My race was going well until the top of the upper loop when the skies opened up and the temp. dropped. I got so cold. I had no power, could hardly control my bike and my head was foggy. Decided to pull the plug and looking back now it was the right decision.

Days after the race I felt terrible. Tired and picked up a cough. In the end it turned out I got a case of pneumonia. Lame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home